Monday, May 21, 2012

Flats Challenge Day 1 a success!!

DDLbutton


I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!  


When my friend told me she was doing this challenge, my first thought was "There is NO WAY I will be doing that!!!" All of these excuses were floating through my head.. I am way too busy... I have 4 kids... I don't even have enough time for everything I need to do as it is!!! Eventually I started thinking... could I do this??? Maybe it would be fun... what a great way to challenge myself... I am very interested to know how to use flats and covers...and I would love to learn how to hand wash and air dry diapers!

The excitement and anticipation from the other moms planning to participate in the challenge was contagious! I am so thankful for the facebook group that was dedicated to bringing us all together. I also couldn't have done this without my friend Helene who was able to teach me all about using flats and covers... I didn't even know what a flat was! Helene and I had many discussions about flats, covers and the challenge in general. She found (and prepped) me some super cute used receiving blankets and she made me some adorable fleece soakers!! Once I tried flats, covers and hand washing, I was hooked and just as excited as the other participants!! That excitement hasn't worn off and I am super pumped to be starting the challenge after weeks of anticipation!




Good-bye pockets and gdiapers!!!


And Hello Flats and hand washing!!!

(My camera just happened to break right before the challenge, so I am using my daughter's camera which does not seem to know that we are in May of 2012, NOT April of 2007 lol All of these pictures were taken this morning)!!
Here is my experience with washing my first flat/cover load that contained a poopy diaper :)

I started by using my swish stick to scrape, agitate and rinse poopy flat in the toilet.




Just a little pre-rinse (with detergent) for all items with poop on them:



Got out my brand new wash board and scrub brush



This was the colour of the water after using washboard... I think it was worth using :)




The scrub brush however, didn't do much and was very hard to move around over the flannel... so here it belongs, in a potty. I won't be using it again for the challenge :)




This is my load: 6 flats, 2 covers, 2 wipes and a wet bag



Full load is together now, starting with a cold rinse :)




Agitating for at least 3 minutes



Oh we accumulated two more flats!! I just rinsed them and added them to the load...just a little pee on them :)



My laundry tarts detergent :) I am using a half to a full teaspoon per load. The scent is Strawberry Shortcake mmmm




Ok, all washed!! I decided to let these ones soak for a while. I went to fold laundry and tend to the kids for a while :)




Just some pics of me washing and rinsing the diapers :)




I agitated in the hot water for at least 5 minutes and then rinsed for at least 3 minutes





and now filling up the bucket with a little cold water for my future diapers to soak in while they wait to be washed




Squishing the flats to get the water out :)






All ready for hanging!




Except... one more thing, I have heard that it works great to roll the covers in a towel... and all the ladies who said that were right!! It worked GREAT!!




Oh darn, still have quite the poop stains...




Ok, the flats, wipes and covers are all hung on the rack




Now over to the computer to check the weather forecast...




Yes!!! Perfect day to dry outside!!




Check this out, within the hour, poop staining is gone!!! Thank you sun!!!





What a great start to the challenge!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment